Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs) can occur due to trauma (e.g. forceful impact to the spinal cord from surrounding vertebra) or a non-traumatic cause (e.g spinal tumour, infection, transverse myelitis). Spinal Cord Injuries are usually classified as either complete injuries (where there is permanent loss of function below the level of injury) or incomplete injuries (where there is some loss of sensation or muscle power below the level of injury.)
Body and Mind Physiotherapy are able to provide neurological physiotherapy for incomplete spinal cord injuries. This type of specialist physiotherapy may include:
- Stretching programs to reduce muscle stiffness, spasms and pain.
- Strengthening programs to improve global and specific muscle strength.
- Sensory stimulation to improve sensory awareness.
- Balance exercises to improve posture and core strength for function.
- Exercises to improve mobility and independence.
We recognise that rehabilitation following an incomplete spinal cord injury can take years.
We are driven by our clients potential to keep achieving new goals, and improving their quality of life.